*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Perfect People Need Not Apply

The following was written on 10/24/2011
I am a firm believer that everything and everyone can be improved. Every business can do better. You can be a better friend, a better husband, a better wife. A better mom or dad. Better employee or employer. We can all do better. The minute you cease to work on a given area of your life, is when you are actually at your worst in that area.
In trying to hold true to this way of thinking, Kris and I want to make strides in how we feed ourselves and our family. We both make it to the gym a few times a week. We both enjoy a wide variety of foods. We both like pizza and a bacon cheeseburger as much as the next guy. With children in our lives now, we feel it is incumbent on us to teach them about making good choices when it comes to nutrition. Do I want my kids to be vegetarians, consuming only grains and berries all their lives?......NO. I do want them to know there is another way to feed themselves, besides what the world around them is likely to teach most often. The world around them will offer obesity and diabetes at staggering rates. The world around them offers food allergies never before seen on this planet. I simply want to make sure they are equipped to make choices on their own, when the time arrives.
For the next 14 days(at least) Kris and I will consume nothing other than fresh fruit and vegetable juice, made in our home. This is not meant to be the end-all. I don't think any person can or should make a lifestyle of this. For us, this will provide a pivot point for changing the way our family views food.
Kris and I have decided to keep track of some of this. We'll both be writing a bit as we go.
For Shamus' next entry, click here.
For Kris' entries,  click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, not only do I have "cheese sandwich and a juice box" running rampant through my brain.....but I'm ashamed of all the food I ate yesterday in that darn snowstorm!!! Haha! Seriously, I can't wait to see what's next...you guys inspire me:0)