*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Top Ten Scenes From Brooklyn, U.S.A.


This past week saw my wife and I in the company of some people we had not seen in many years. These people hail from Brooklyn NYC. This is the place that has the TRUE NYC accent. So when my thoughts goes back to a youth in part, spent in Jackie Gleason's borough, this story comes to mind.


I can't remember how old I was. Let's say somewhere between 16ish and 18ish. A time when a growing boy realizes he knows it all. And I was sure I knew more then most. I was most likely cutting school or engaged in some other form of delinquent yet semi-harmless activity. I was headed to Brooklyn to spend a day with my girlfriend in Bensonhurst. I ended up arriving at her house before she got home from work. And before anyone else got home for that matter as well.

The whole place to myself..... hummm what to do? Boredom would lead to creativity, sorta.

I decided to clean up the place a bit, make lunch and wait outside on the stoop (does everyone know what a stoop is?) for her to get home. O yeah, I also thought it would be a great idea to light a bunch of those scented candles and place them throughout the basement apartment.


Can anyone see where this is going? As memory serves I saw her coming down the block and I proceed to meet her halfway. As we walk back to the apartment together, I'm taking the opportunity to tell her how I had straightened up and made lunch for the two of us. I made no mention of the scented light show that awaited us. I had completely forgotten about it by this point. Once we opened the door we were greeted by a lavender scented plume of thick white smoke. The place wasn't quite on fire, however the candles had burned down and melted into the various pieces of furniture they had been set on top of.
As mentioned, I wasn't supposed to be in Brooklyn, but rather in 4th period history class. I was now faced with a number of problems not uncommon to the average teenager. My immediate solutions included such winners as, strategically relocating tablecloths, nick-nacks and other household items to conceal the damage until a more permanent fix could be arranged for. It's more than 10 years later now, I wonder how those tablecloths and picture frames are holding up.
Sidenote....... If you're playing hookie and trying to avoid any parental entanglements, it's best not involve the FDNY.
Shamus






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care for Brooklyn myself. I was there last week. The people driving have NO respect for anyone. They just do what they want.

Anonymous said...

I was born in Brooklyn in 1952... held my young mom's hand
as we walked under the L-trains.
She squeezed my knuckles
and bought me ice cream
waffle sandwiches
from the five and dime store.

We ate at Big Daddy's.
I worked at the 95th St.
Brooklyn Public Library
while attendeding Brookyn College.
My Dad retired
from the Coney Island
Train Yard. GOOD MEMORIES!

Thanks for bringing them to
mind.

Anonymous said...

I would like to correct some misconceptions: they weren't scented candles...they were 5" outage candles, you know the ones you use at candlelight services? Also, you leaned them in the smallest, cheapest plastic cups. Mind you, you did not place these outage candles in plastic cups on actual furniture...you put them on plywood and formica- flamible surfaces- and then left the scene for over a half an hour. When we returned, we found "puddles" of fire all around the house! That "lavender scent" you claim to have smelled, burnt cardboard and plastic!