*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Lancaster to Zambia.....AND BACK

Earlier this year, I spent a few weeks in Zambia.  I was traveling with CURE, and working in one of their hospitals. Upon returning home, to say the least, I felt my time there was pointless, had not met my expectations, and was largely a failure. In the back of my mind I had always known I had a set of personal reasons for taking this trip. Perhaps I set out with selfish intentions, and that was the reason for the let down? I'm still unclear on that.
I do know that I wanted to put my skills to a truly good use.  Was it wise for me to think that way? I'm still unclear on that as well.
I do know I witnessed some extraordinary needs while in Zambia. I got to know a few people who wade through waist deep emotional turmoil on a daily basis trying to meet every need possible.
One night in-particular, I carried a very sick young boy off of an ambulance in the middle of the night. The look of being utterly lost and confused in his eyes is something I will never forget.
I also remember thinking, all I can do is carry him into the ward and hope for the best.
Not a very good feeling.

Fast forward a few months to right now and we are making our usual preparations for Thanksgiving. The news and internet are peppered with stories of refugees, war, death, and mongering of every possible variety. All of it got to me a bit and I decided to reach out and find a way to step into the fray in my community. As it turns out, Lancaster, PA has long had a reputation of stepping out in faith to help people newly immigrated to this country. Assuming I would be connected with families from Syria,(given the news lately) I asked my church where I might be of value. After a phone call or two, I was put in touch with some people who are just getting settled into the Lancaster area. To my surprise, they are from Zambia! I was told their eyes lit up at the prospect of meeting me, and of hearing I had some familiarity with their home country. Imagine that.....I have Zambia street cred!
Over the next two days, my family will meet and play host to almost 20 new faces and share Thanksgiving time with them.

So perhaps my time back in March was not spent in vein. Maybe it was all in place to make these folks feel comfortable sitting in my house for a few hours, in a strange new place very far from their home, If that is the case, then mission accomplished! I went halfway around the world hoping to meet some personal goals while being of service. Now it seems the real purpose may play out in homes barely 10 minutes from where I live. This is UPPER story stuff. The stuff we can't plan out or predict.
Realizing all this in the past few days reminded me of a promise I made back in March. I simply would not say "No" to any opportunity that was presented to me to be of service. 
I wish to continue to live that out, especially in my local community.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great day, Great time, Great meal. Brand new friends made. Put into action what we have learned. "Be Rich, Go Do"

Anonymous said...

Going to the ends of the Earth has all the mystique, adventure and even bragging rights associated with it. We have to keep our eyes open so we don't miss the ordinary, less glamorous opportunities that come to our door step everyday. They tend to weave the most amazingly beautiful stories.

BarbaraAnn said...

He accomplishes His plans in amazing ways!! I am sure there are more surprises to come!! Our new friends made this a Thanksgiving to remember!! What a joy and privilege it was to get to know them!!