*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Zero To 40 In 21,038,400 Minutes

Up until a short time ago I had no idea turning forty years old was some sort of benchmark or rite of passage event. I just figured it was another year passing by. Fifty, in my mind, was the bigger age, the more significant event. One by one, different conversations have revealed to me that many people view forty years of age as equally significant. I'm not sure I agree. I am pretty sure, however, that it doesn't  matter either way. If nothing else, its given me reason to consider where I am now, where I have been thus far, and where I would like to go. In no specific order, I'm going to list some of the significant moments/items in my life that have shaped me to this point.

*Faith.
As far back as I can remember I was taught to have faith in things unseen. At times this has been a bizarre way to live life. However, to this day, no single factor guides my every thought and decision.
It hasn't been until recently that I realized just how ordered life has actually been when taken through the lens of my faith. Without that, its just been a big mess with lots of coincidences that really make no sense and hurt more often than help.

*City mouse
Growing up in one of the largest cities on the planet provides you with a unique skill set. Of the New Yorker, this is ingrained on almost a cellular lever. It doesn't make you better, smarter, or stronger then someone from a small town, just different.

*Country mouse
Our move to Lancaster, PA has been a HUGE change for us. All for the better. This is the right place for us, we moved at the right time, and have been greatly blessed in so doing. For all the greatness NYC offered us, we have met some of the most amazing people who have enriched our lives greatly here.

*Not having kids
Our(surgical) decision just before we were married to not have children was the correct decision. In looking back over our relationship, we were not equipped to be parents  seventeen years ago. Our decision making and behavior at the time is/was proof.

*Having kids
Our(reverse surgical) decision to take a crack at parenting has been rewarded. I'm not sure fatherhood agrees with me, but I do immensely enjoy the company of Aiden and Evan.

*Friendship
I have a few relationships that I value above all else. You know who you are.
I continue to maintain a quality over quantity approach. It has paid dividends thus far and I see no reason to change it.

There it is. A brief list of the past forty years. I have left out many great scenes and great people.
Stories that take place from the capitol of the world, to a small place called Willow Street, PA fill in all the blanks. Do I have life figured out? Not even close. I do know I am anxious to see what the next forty years have in store for us. I have taken care to surround myself with great people and I look forward to experiencing it with them.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sha!
Wishing you hopes fulfilled, dreams
come true and God's blessing on all your
endeavors!
Love,
Marietta and Carl

BarbaraAnn said...

It is great to read about your love of life and the dearness of your family and friends. It is even better to witness it up close and personal in the sound of your laughter and the careful choices you make. Happy 40th to my son, a man of Faith!