*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving Takeaways

Like a flash, Thanksgiving comes and goes. Even in our own home the tree went up the day after Thanksgiving and the lights outside the house will quickly follow. Before the feasting was done, however, I had a few good stories under my belt to keep the few added pounds company.
Early morning on Thanksgiving, Aiden and I set out as part of a volunteer effort with our church. We were part of a team that was bringing food from a local restaurant to people in our community who had need of it. I was very proud of my son as he took part alongside me. Once we had loaded our car we drove to the predetermined pick up/drop off location. As soon as we rounded the last turn, it became obvious we were at the correct location. Lined up for hours in the cold weather were representatives of about 500 families who were counting on us being there. I'm not sure what emotion took over me next, but I was not able to look these people in the eye. Call it shame. Shame that I drove up in my shiny new car. Call it shame that I was wearing warmer clothes then they were and shoes that probably cost more than some of them earned in a paycheck. Call it pity. Pity that they needed me to hand them a a meal for their entire family in 2 plastic bags. Pity that I had no idea where their meal would come from tomorrow. I took a moment to explain to Aiden that he was helping other people. I told him he should always effort to do so no matter what that may mean for him. I can only hope he remembers some of these scenes later on in life. Some of my earliest memories of my dad were the way he approached the homeless on the streets of NYC. Never a harsh word. Never holding me back away from them.  Always with a smile and either a meal or a few dollars in his outstretched hand.            
                                 
A short while ago I got a disturbing text message from a friend and former co-worker. Her husband had received a grim medical diagnoses. It was the sort of news nobody ever wants, but for them its timing seemed particularly cruel. Recently retired, he was about to start a new chapter in his life with much to look forward to. Their kids are at the stage of life when they really start to discover who they are. His wife, my former co-worker, was loving a new found professional role. On paper, they had it all. Now this. This could crush them, This could take life away. This would ruin Thanksgiving and alter all holidays that were to follow. Their family has much to be concerned about.
Now, seated at my kitchen table late on Thanksgiving, my friend fills me in on the latest in their story. There is no illness. There is no problem, There is no concern. With literally no medical explanation for this drastic change in their life, the disease that was about to destroy everything has absolutely vanished. How is this possible? Surely, there must be some reason! In the absence of science and medicine, it seems only the spiritual remains. So, as long as the doctors, lab tests and scientists can't provide an explanation...I'm content to take my friend's. In this trying time, a time where reflex may have told them to live life to the fullest, or batten down the hatches....they chose to give. They chose to give like they have never done so before. It is my friends opinion that this gesture of faith was rewarded and returned to them in the form of life. Literally. 

What bad news are you dealing with? What challenges are facing you at home or in the workplace?
What if the solution to some of your problems was not to get more? What if hitting that savings goal won't help you sleep at night? Is it possible the act of giving is central to life? What if we, as humans, are simply built to give and doing so is literally part of our DNA.

Sooner or later death finds everyone, Life, however, only finds us when we live it correctly.


No comments: