*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Take A Seat

For the past week I have observed life in my home from the vantage point of one particular chair.
Recovering from a small surgical procedure has required me to be a bit less mobile around here.
There has been some discomfort, some inconvenience. There has also been no shortage of boredom, for me.
For myself, and for most people, I'm afraid what comes easiest is to complain about what troubles us.
C'mon, be honest. How much time do you spend being vocal about the good that has been placed into your life, as opposed to how much time you spend thinking or talking about what you don't have, or what bothers you most? I have come to learn that even when difficulty finds me, there is good to be had in it, and wisdom to be gained.
This week I was treated to great recovery food, courtesy of Mom and Dad. This week I spent time catching up with the Honeymooners, courtesy of Gramps. My Mom and I had at least one great conversation, while I was forced to sit still.
My greatest pleasure came from watching Kris run the machine of our daily life. From carting the kids here and there, to not missing a single karate class or nursing home visit, she truly has our life down to a fine science. All while she brought me fresh ice packs and saw to it that I got plenty of rest. Once again, I was given tangible proof that I made the correct selection in my choice of a partner for life's journey.

While I may be a bit off my game over the next week or so, some people will live their entire life viewing things from one particular chair. I was privileged to grow up knowing one of them.
For as long as I knew Cap, she was without the use of one arm and lived life seated in a different kind of chair. From there, her game was never off. From the seated position she built a life that is seldom reproducible by anyone these days. Anyone that knew Cap spoke well of her. Never a word in anger did she utter. Never was kindness not the first emotion she displayed. Hospitality was always top notch at her house for every birthday, holiday and everyday. I understand now that some portion of her wisdom was a by-product of her spending years just sitting. Sitting and listening. Sitting and talking. Sitting and learning. Sitting and helping. Sitting and giving.
I'm not looking to minimize anyone's hardships. They are all unique and fitting within the framework of our individual lives and abilities.
Good can be gleaned from even the most seemingly impossible hardship.

1 comment:

Barbara Ann Alfano Fuhrman Smith said...

Cap became Cap sitting "in her spot" at the kitchen table. I think you were 4, Shamus, when Cap finally surrendered to the wheelchair. However, the wheelchair spot was the same spot she sat in before she started using it.

The wheelchair and the subsequent van actually ended up opening up her world, for once again she could get out, go for rides, go shopping, etc.!!!! She had really been shut in there for a while!!

Cap was always thankful to be alive. She expressed it every Thanksgiving as went around the the table giving thanks. She knew what life was really about!!!

Love.

(listening, kindness, helping, giving, 54 hospitality, etc,, etc.)

Come to think of it, it's possible to live out 1 Cor. 13 in a chair!!
That's what Cap did!!!