*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Advice for a three year old.(updated)

There isn't much advice you can give a three year old. Most of the instruction I find myself offering Aiden on a regular basis consists of simple "Yes you can" or "No, stop doing that".
Sure, he often grasps the consequences of behaving in a given manner, and it's easy enough to have a conversation with him. What he can't yet understand are the themes of life that are ever present around him. Evil, good, danger, love, friendship, respect. These are things he will have to learn as time progresses. When I provide him with instruction, or answer a question for him, he sees largely an arbitrary decision. He doesn't know my words to him are spoken out of life experiences, both good and bad.
I struggle on a daily basis to be able to provide my son with the life that my parents created for me. On many different fronts, I fear I will fall short of ever attaining such a great feat.
What I would like to do is encourage Aiden to live a life far from ordinary.
I want him to fight when others would run. I want him to listen when others might talk.
I want him to love, long after others have given up. I want him to seek friendships of the highest caliber. Learn from good people, and possess an ability to discern good people from fools.
Aiden, question the wisdom of this world. Choose your friends wisely, then love them without fail.

5 comments:

luci said...

You don't have to worry about falling short. Anybody around you for 5 minutes can see you are an amazing father.... he's a damn lucky kid to have you both!

mareitta said...

you guys are great parents.. AJ is very lucky to have parents like u.. you both teach him about love, respect.. never sell ur self short on how u are bringing aiden up.. he is going to be a great young man... and im guessing an amazing dad as well.. your great role mdels for him..

Kris said...

I can honestly say, you are one of the best dads I know. I see a lot of Aiden in you and even though it worries me at times because I know he will be as strong willed as you are, I would be so proud if he grew up to be like his daddy.

Nana said...

No one is perfect... no parent, no child, no grandparent! We all mess up in more ways than one! Thank God for His faithfulness and love. It is His grace and mercy that sees us through!

When we are wrong we have to admit it, and seek forgiveness from God and others. We have to ask God for His help!!
This goes for all of us!

Shamus, I wish we had done some of the things you are doing with Aiden!!

Dad was right, Aiden, when he said that you must choose your friends wisely. Always remember that Jesus paid a very big price so that you could be called a friend of God!

Your parents love you very much and they gave you a very nice party to celebrate your third birthday. All of your grandparents were there!

I love you, Aiden, and the times we spend together are very special to me! Happy third birthday to a wonderful grandson!!!

mariettta NI NI said...

sha pls never doubt your ability to raise ur son .... i watch u with aiden and i know that someday when he has children of his own.. he will look back and say that im lucky to have been brought up by parents who i know loved me very much.. and who taught me the values that will allow him to follow with his own children.. keep doing what u guys are doing.... i love u both... i love my little man....