*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Fireside Chats

Quick, without the aid of google, can anyone under the age of 30 tell me the historical significance of the term "Fireside chat"?

As a general rule, I prefer winter to summer. Having said that, I enjoy summer evenings for one specific purpose. On any night, weather permitting, you can probably find me sitting in the yard beside a glowing fire with a double shot of Bailey's in my hand. I enjoy the peace of the moonlight. I also enjoy the sound of cars passing by on the other side of my privacy fence. Above all else, I welcome the opportunity for revealing conversation with whomever may be sitting beside me. Be forewarned, if you choose to sit out there with me, be prepared to share a bit of your soul.
I want relationships that challenge me. The friends I keep closest are not afraid to ask probing questions. In turn, I have found these same people are not likely to hold back when I ask one of them. These are the people who ask for favors. These are the people who do favors for me. In any relationship, be it friend, family or co-worker I believe in taking the connection to it's maximum potential. Clearly some people will end up being complete soul mates while others exist in your life only to say hello and goodbye to every day.
On a chilly spring night a few weeks back I was seated along side a person who has become a great friend. A person I admire quite a bit. Admist the Bailey's, the laughs and the layers of sweatshirts to keep us warm, I was hit with the following question:
"What are you passionate about?"
I sat there stunned. I instantly felt like what a largemouth bass looks like, when he finally comes to rest on the floor of your boat after an exhaustive fight.
I had no answer for my friend. Not that I would, but this was not the place for bullshit.
At 1am in front of the fire, there is no room for falsehoods, half truths or holding back.

2 comments:

CHARACTER said...

I'm a bit old to answer the first question. I would have belived your answer to be somewhat like mine.
Faith
Family
Food
Friends

Peter said...

Roosevelt