*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Knee Bone Is Connected To The.......

I'm taking some training courses with Zimmer. I've been told that some of information that will come my way this week may be a bit elementary, or at best, a review for me , given my work history over the past few years . Some of that seems to be holding true. However, there are daily tests. I am not a very good test taker at all. No matter how advanced an item, or instrument may be, once it is put in my hands , chances are I can figure it out in a reasonable amount of time. Ask me to take a written test on the same item and I'll likely fail with flying colors. To help me take the edge off that a bit, I'm typing out tomorrow's test material here. I won't be divulging any proprietary information.
Everything I write here is readily available in either a text book or trade publication of some kind.
What follows below may be a bit abstract. My only reasons for posting this is to pass the time while creating a study aid for myself. The first test is 730 a.m.
Feel free to stop reading now.
No wise ass comments from Luke, please (or Phil for that matter)
From the category of basics, or review.......
*Plasty= Repair
*Ortho=Correct
*Varus=Tibial/femoral alignment angle exceeds 180 degrees(bow legged)
*Valgus=Tibial/femoral alignment angle less than 160 degrees(knock knee)
*Medial parapatellar arthrotomy...involves incision of vastus medialis muscle.
*Tendons connect muscle to bone
*Ligaments connect bone to bone
*Specific to knee joint function, the MCL is more critical to balance correctly than the LCL. This is because of the supporting structures that surround the LCL, that are absent on the medial side.
*Screw home mechanism is the 20 degree external rotation of the femur that allows the joint to unlock and flex.
*Knee kinematics include rotating, rolling. sliding.(or gliding)

As for some new material:
*The poly must withstand forces 3-7 times of a person's body weight with every step taken.
Approximately 1 million cycles every year.
*Use of "Net shape molding"
*Free Radical=An atom or group of atoms having one unpaired electron.
*Common poly wear in knees= delamination, pitting, fracture
*Sub-surface fatigue
*Highly crosslinked poly uses planned "Chain scission" to create free radicals.
*Heat joins free radicals.

Metals
*Coeff of friction
*Trabecular Metal.....
* Chemical vapor deposition
*80 percent porous
*Backside poly wear, monoblock
*Ductivity, bend before break
*Stress shielding, wolfs law, use it or lose it.

2 comments:

foot said...

I'm sure you're doing great!

KRod said...

Or will this serve as your cheat sheet?