*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Success or Greatness?

This weekend, Kris and I are attending a parenting workshop of sorts.
As I'm typing this, my life is changing.
Here are a few insights into what I have learned.
1. Success and greatness are VERY different things.
Which one would you rather be used to define your child?
2. Parents often over provide for and over protect their children.
3. Neither victories or defeats should define our children.
Aiden will be taught to win with grace and lose with pride.
4. Parenting should be more then mistake or wrong-doing management.
The focus our home will not be trying to keep evil out of it.
5. Moral absolutes do exist.
Often as adults, we decide life is easier when we blur the lines between right and wrong. Doing so does nothing to negate the fact that some things are right, and some things are wrong.
6. The rules of our home are largely arbitrary. We'd be wise to not attach ethical, legal or moral implications to rules such as "clean your room".
7. Don't Panic.
The possibility exists for Aiden to come home drunk. We can't panic.
Aiden might not get straight A's. We can't panic.
Aiden might not make the starting lineup. We can't panic. We can't panic because our love for him is greater than all of these combined. We can't panic because God's love for Aiden is greater then our love for Aiden.
8. Adventure does not come without risk.
Aiden will not be the first boy to break an arm, or a leg. We mustn't crush an adventurous spirit.

It has been another great weekend for our family at LCBC. This place continues to be a place of great guidance and peace for us. This place has nothing to do with what church has come to represent in our country. It is rather an example of what it should become. In short, this ain't your parent's church.
Interesting thought......
I'm sitting in this auditorium trying to learn anything I can that might help me be a better parent in the years to come. When Kris and I first came to this church, it was at the request of my mother.
She made this request of me during a time of great change in my life. Truth be told, I had just about enough of the church scene. I really had no use for it. And with everything else going on around me, I felt as though I had even less time for it.
Stay with me on this...... My mom did not beg me to go to this church to save my soul. She didn't tell me the preacher was blessed by the Holy Spirit. She appealed to my God given gift of unique hearing. She told me how she found this church for me via the Clair Brothers website. A name she knew I would recognize as being world renown for excellence in all applications of audio reinforcement. Now here I sit almost four years later, in the very room featured on that same website, learning the tools to give me that same wisdom to help direct Aiden, her Grandson.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so much to be grateful for.

Mom said...

Shamus, what was the name of that workshop and/or speaker?