*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Top Ten From 10/24-10/26


It has been a very busy weekend for us here in Willow Street.
On the calendar was a 40th b-day party on Saturday night and Giants v Steelers for Sunday afternoon. In between everything was some time at LCBC. Let's start there.
1. We have been going through the book of Ecclesiastes. Sounds exciting, doesn't it?
Well, you're right. It's quite dry and very depressing. This book describes how one of the wealthiest, smartest, most shrewd business men of all time came to the conclusion that life on earth is worthless. Great. So what chance do I have at figuring things out?
This weekend we were speaking specifically about tendencies that may exist to blame God when things don't go quite the way you planned. AS IF WE KNOW THE PLAN ANYWAY....DUH.
In a few days, you can hear the teaching here. I think you'll find peace in listening to it.
We were all given a moment of pause when we were shown the video below and schooled on the life events of this family. I'm really torn on whether or not to post this part of my weekend, but here goes. Personally, I will never watch this video again. I also know I will never be the same having seen it once already.


In the past few weeks, I have been wrestling with many issues. While my opinions have not changed much, I am now aware that I need to adjust my focus somewhat and grasp the hope that has been provided for me and my family via a selfless act of sacrifice many years ago. We drove away from church to the sight of balloons littering the farms all around us. Quite a sight.(don't panic, they were bio-degradable balloons)
2. Saturday night was the b-day party. Lots of fun with good people. Luci and I joined forces.
3. Sunday saw a group from work come over here for a football game. It's really something to see. You get everything from the hardcore football people, to those who couldn't' tell you what teams are playing. Some people bring all the kids, some don't have any kids.
It all adds up to a great time and I wouldn't have it any other way. The story that tells of how Kris and I came to live here is nothing short of a miracle saga. Because of this, I believe all of these people were put into my life very deliberately. I continue to admire them and value having them nearby.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW!
I'm glad you realize how blessed we all are..no matter what our circumstances... God is using you through your writings... what a legacy for your family

Carl

Shamus said...

Thanks Carl.
Your wonderful example and friendship was close to my heart as I struggled through this story.

Anonymous said...

WOW!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful testimony to the value of EVERY life, no matter how long or short it might be. And what an awesome God we serve.

Anonymous said...

what a amazing GOD we have. how sad it is when we as a people who have everything and still complaine we need to take a lesson what a testiomy.

Anonymous said...

That is A LOT of emotion packed into one measly weekend, as always thanks for sharing,...oh, and making me bawl on a rainy tuesday morning! -L

Anonymous said...

ophra did a segment on eliot today. she interviewed his parents they did say that they will be having another baby in two weeks.it had me in tears along with all you saw it. but we as christains know that eliot is with the Lord safe in his arms till his mom and dad are together again

dezhorst said...

geez shamus...i bawled my eyes out watching that video. what an AMAZING testimony. it makes you feel so priviledged and thankful to have what you have. wow.