*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Top Ten Things I want for Christmas.

For a few years now, Kris and I have had a difficult time wrapping our heads(and hearts) around Christmas. This holiday used to seem so simple. You're are a kid, it's winter time, maybe it's snowing out, you get gifts.
It doesn't get much better, or easier.
In my opinion, Christmas has become complicated. At least for me it has.
Speaking for myself, financial responsibility coupled with the importance of having a giving nature is at the heart of the Christmas conflict. I desperately want to teach my son to be responsible with all that has been given to him, much more than I want him to have the latest God awful video game. The truth is, I don't need anything for Christmas. Neither does my wife or son.
Does that mean we won't buy each other anything this December?....probably not. It does mean that we have decided to not go into debt doing so.

In an effort to make Christmas simple again, Kris and I will focus our Christmas dollars, and more importantly, our Christmas hearts on new things beginning this year. I don't know exactly what all this will end up looking like for our family, or what (if anything) it might mean to those around us. Here is what I do know- we will seek to meet the needs of a family in our community, so they may better enjoy Christmas together.
In terms of maximum impact potential, we would love to have anybody who is interested join in our efforts. It's been years since I've looked forward to Christmas as much as this. Now all I need is the snow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only applaude you!
Start Aiden Quinn off right.
I wish I had done that when my kids were much younger myself.
You're on the right track!

Anonymous said...

I agree....so 4 us, it's LOTS of food and visits. That's the only thing I can remember about Christmas when I was a kid,...visiting with everyone and eating until I burst! you can never eat enough peanut butter fudge!!!-Lori