*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Class Dismissed and The Grass Is Always Greener

Over the past week, I had been struggling with what I wanted to say here next. Then, after this morning, I couldn't choose between two thoughts. So, lucky you, I'm posting them both.

The Grass is Always Greener.
The photo above is the result of three separate pictures and some cheesy photo editing on my part.
What you see there is the front "lawn" of my house. I've never been one to obsess over lawn care or spend hours toiling in the summer heat striving for a carpet-like appearance from the grass.
However, even I must admit that the grass is in terrible shape this year. Far below even my meager standards. On several occasions over the past few days, I have been quite close to calling up a landscaper and handing over my credit card so my lawn could be made presentable for the summer months. I had to force myself to decide if that was a wise way to spend money.
The answer: NO
It became clear to me that I was concerned with what others, people I know, may think of my family when driving by our house and seeing the grass in such a poor condition. Meanwhile, truths about my family can only be found on the other side of that grass, inside our home. Inside we are getting ready for the arrival of Evan. Inside, we have completed a small home renovation project. Inside, we laugh most of the day. Inside, Kris bakes constantly and makes delicious meals for us and our friends on a regular basis. It seems as though the lawn will have to wait. The arrival of my next son, and our two day vacation to NYC will occupy any extra money we have for the next few months......and I'm okay with that.

Class dismissed.

A few times a month, I am blessed to mix audio at LCBC. I can be found at LCBC most other weekends, whether I am mixing or not. However, I worship when I create sound. I worship when I mix. Most often, I go unnoticed behind the console, as it should be. I was taught years ago that you are mixing your best sound when nobody knows you are in the room. You see, the idea is to create an energy, a sound that so perfectly communicates the emotions of what is being said, that people get completely lost in thought or song. Today, some of that sacred worship may have been seen by a few people. It was a little unsettling for me. As the last song, complete with layered vocals, heavy guitars and a driving keyboard came to an end, the lead singer dismissed the audience. The plan was to complete the balance of the music as the audience exited the room.
What I hadn't counted on was 1,000 people walking towards me, facing me as I finished up the last portion of this song (at 100dB). All of a sudden, I found myself wondering what to do. I was in a complete groove, feeling this perfect music, lost in the message that it was conveying. After all, nobody ever sees me mix (worship). To most, I was in touch with rhythms that couldn't be heard, feeling things nobody else was aware of. Do I come to a stop, compose myself, and let the last few measures ring out without me? I took a deep breath, grabbed the emotions and held on. It was a great feeling.
Not only was I able to complete my sacred act, I was treated to a sea of faces and smiles. Others around me were clearly leaving the room just a few inches off the carpet themselves. More than a few stayed until the room was empty. They too, had decided to hold on.
This video, from a cell phone camera was running to catch the scene. I don't expect it to be able to express the emotions, but take a look.

1 comment:

KRod said...

I loved the "Grass is Greener" segment. It's such an awesome experience to live it with you (and eat yummy chocolate chip pancakes)! You've really got things in perspective. And for those of us that are on stage, visible to the crowd, we thank you for making us sound so good!