*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Great Parenting Moments

Today found our family out and about quite a bit. Aiden tolerates the general public for a few hours at a time as well as can be expected. At times, he does better than his mother or I do. At one point today, we landed at home for a few hours in the afternoon. The morning had been productive and we managed to have a few laughs together as a family. Desiree even tagged along for a while. After off loading our groceries at home, I decided to be adventurous and head out to the gym. Kris, feeling a bit spent after the morning, decided she wanted to stay at home and catch up on a few items around the house. I, being the post-modern, accommodating and understanding father and husband, declare that I will take Aiden with me to the gym and run two final errands. Off we go.

Two dudes getting ready to pump some iron together. Once at the gym, I check him in at the Kid's Club. We draw lots of smiles and kind words from the pretty girls on the way in. Exercises complete, we bundle up, collect more smiles from the pretty girls and head out to the car. Having just walked up two flights of stairs, out to the parking lot, and strapping Aiden into his seat, he informs me that he has to use the bathroom. No problem. I can handle this! This is my son and I will tend to his every need. Back across the parking lot, into the gym, past the same pretty girls who are of course pleased we have come back again, downstairs and into the bathroom we go.

Given the mechanical abilities of a two year old, in the confines of a public bathroom, it rests mainly on me, the father, to see that this transaction goes off well. I'll spare you the details. Needless to say, I am up to the task. I see my son through various stages of undress, see to it that he washes everything he needs to, and once again, we parade proudly to the car. Father and son. This time we even cross paths with a few fellow New Yorkers who make themselves known with the customary "howudoin'" and acknowledge the Yankees cap my boy is proudly wearing. It's a good moment for a dad. By this point, I am really feeling steeped in fatherhood. My wife is home resting up a bit. The boy and I have been productive.

As we take the last few steps into the car, just as I'm about to once again, lift Aiden up and secure him safely into his government mandated car seat, I notice he is having a difficult time walking. Upon closer inspection.......
it seems, that I, this perfect example of fatherhood in all my glory, failed to button or zipper my son's pants after he used the bathroom. The poor kid walked up two flights of stairs, past the pretty girls, and out into the parking lot with his pants around his ankles.
I quickly made the necessary adjustments and kept moving. After all, our next stop was the liquor store and I didn't want him to be embarrassed in there.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Are you using my son to pick up chicks again?

Shamus said...

I'm not too sure that Aiden isn't using me!

dezhorst said...

nice. great job:) and thanks for not throwing me under the bus with my foolishness!! hehe

KRod said...

Classic! Where's the "Like" button??