*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A funny thing happened on the way to church…

Posted by Kris

So, we’re on our way to the 4:30pm gathering at LCBC yesterday and something unusual happens. That is to say, it is unusual for us to see in our Lancaster neighborhood. We’re driving on a fairly busy road and on the opposite side of the street, we see a young male in his late teens or early twenties walking briskly along the shoulder. He is carrying a bag containing one or two rather large bottles of liquor. Close behind is a uniformed police officer, flat top haircut, average height but in good shape keeping pace. Behind this officer is an older gentleman much taller than the other two who is struggling to keep up. There is a look on his face though, that leads me to believe I am about to see justice in action. Sha turns to me and says, “Whaddya think?” I replied that I thought it might be a good idea for us to hang out a bit- you know, in case the guy out in front decided to run. No sooner had we pulled over than our liquor toting punk bursts out into a sprint, tossing his loot to lighten his load.

Now, let’s pause for just a moment, shall we? Here is the thought that immediately ran through my head, “Dammit, I’m wearing flip flops.” (one of which wasn’t even on ‘cause I had my foot on the dashboard). I had just opened my car door, when I see Shamus darting through two lanes of traffic and now running parallel to the perp and the officer. I have seen Shamus run that fast only once in my life and it involved a buffet line. I have also been on the receiving end of a Shamus tackle during a friendly game of “touch” football and I know the hurt this guy is in for, especially if Shamus hits him at that speed. Momentarily thrilled at the adrenaline rush, I jumped into the driver’s seat, with the intention to cut the perp off forcing him to run into my car. I’ve seen this work hundreds of times in movies and perhaps 6 or 7 times in real life. Only, as I turned the car in their direction- this is what I see. Perp laying face down on the concrete, arms outstretched. Attached to him are the probes that have been fired from the officer’s taser. Shamus is standing not 15 feet from the perp with his gun pointed at his head. I can literally feel my jaw drop. What is he doing??? When I notice the cop seems unfazed by Sha’s loaded weapon pointed at this individual, I ease up. Clearly I missed something here. Not to mention, the action! It seems as though Shamus beat me to an arrest. Huh, thats a little irritating- but it also made me very proud. Nice work babe! In case you're wondering if this made us late for church, fear not. For as long as I have known Shamus, he arrives everywhere at least one hour prior to the stated starting time. Now I know why.

6 comments:

KRod said...

Weird things happen to the two of you on the way to church! Remember the tailgater? Way to be proactive American citizens!

Ryan K said...

Why did you leave out the part about the dirtbag having a weapon?? The way you wrote it makes it sound like Sha pulled a gun on an unarmed petty criminal.

Shamus said...

Geez Ryan,
What took you so long?

And for the record, I could care less what his crime may or may not have been.(but you know that already)

The officer informed me that the suspect claimed to have a gun on him when he allegedly committed his alleged crime.

Ryan K said...

(I read this on my phone last night before going to sleep and wrestled with whether or not I wanted to say something. This afternoon I decided I did.)

Care to fill in the details of what happened while Kris was driving around?

Also, if that's what the officer said then I believe it.

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment earlier but we have been having a few computer issues. My only question is if you had time to turn on the laser pointer or were the batteries dead due to you messing with the cat?
Phil

Shamus said...

I knew there would be a cat toy remark forthcoming. I just wasn't sure if it would come from Phil or Luke.
Or was this a team effort comment?