*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

This Story Has No Names Or Places

An odd sound of some sort, followed by an "O shit!"...shortly followed up with "Call security." Peeking around the corner I realize everyone is staring in the same direction. My curiosity heightened now, I direct my eyes as all the others are doing, maybe ten people in all. An adult male is face down on the floor, legs shaking. I'm guessing he is having a seizure, and now lay unconscious, or semi conscious.
My next thought is repulsive.
I'm on company time. If I get involved, and this goes badly for him, I could be in hot water with my employer for "putting my hands" on a "patient"
Damn, no time to be second guessing here. I have the ability to help this person. Do I have permission? I can feel the muscles in my legs twitching, urging me to stand up and get moving. It's my brain that is hesitating. My legs win out.
Getting in front of this man, his breathing is somewhat labored, and he is bleeding from his head.
Asking for gloves from those around me, I am met with blank stares. That always amazes me when in a building of any sort that serves the public. I didn't just ask you for a freakin kidney.....I want a pair of gloves! Whatever.
Taking a closer look, this gentleman has a stoma, and his breathing device(s) have become dislodged, accounting for his labored respirations. Easy fix. The blood from his head is of no immediate concern. Security(Security?) arrives, he is placed in a wheelchair and away he goes.
How many things are wrong in this story?

4 comments:

Ryan K said...

12 things?

Ryan K said...

Alright, with my pathetic attempt at comedy behind us...

1) "Call Security!": should be "Call 911" followed by "Call security" and "Is anyone a Dr?"

2) You stopped to consider the risk to your employment by getting involved.

3) That there is a real risk to your employment by getting involved.

Those are assuming you were in a random public place. If you were in any sort of health care establishment (since you were on the clock) then I am more than a little frightened and would like the story to have names and places.

Shamus said...

Hey Ryan,
you are correct on all counts.
I'll text you something semi-funny

Dumela said...

How about todays attitude about getting involved?