*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Packin'

I'm getting ready to spend a few days on the road. I'll be in Florida, learning a bit more about this company. Anybody else wanna come with me?
Many years ago I was on a trip with the guys from church and our counselors. We were spending the day at an amusement park of sorts. One of the counselors was Steve. A person I held, (and still do) in great regard. The activities of this day kept some of us in wetsuits and other water gear most of the time. At some point I noticed that Steve was wearing a beeper. Now mind you, this was likely about 17years ago and beepers exemplified the "cutting edge" in communication technology. They were also roughly the size of a VCR, circa the same time period. To me, Steve was super-human. He did things for a living that movies are made out of. So when I noticed the beeper, I thought it was the coolest thing. His services might be required at a moment's notice....perhaps to stamp out injustice or save someone's life. He was walking around with the bat-signal attached to his belt. At some point I likely asked a few questions about it. Steve took this opportunity to school me on the downward spiral of the world we live in.
In vivid, passionate detail, he educated me on how it was becoming more common for responsibilities in the workplace to overshadow and infringe upon time spent with family and friends. He further described for me, the evil that is persuasive in the endless pursuit of money and wealth. How many of us can truly say that the mobile office we walk around carrying on our belts will sound off only when a life is in jeopardy? These things are a far cry from the pager Steve was toting around.
William Sloane Coffin said "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."

3 comments:

foot said...

Thank God for the Bible which teaches us about another race. If you win it, you receive an imperishable prize.
Acts 20:24
But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
Acts 20:23-25 (in Context) Acts 20 (Whole Chapter)
1 Corinthians 9:24
[ Striving for a Crown ] Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
1 Corinthians 9:23-25 (in Context) 1 Corinthians 9 (Whole Chapter)
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:6-8 (in Context) 2 Timothy 4 (Whole Chapter)
Hebrews 12:1
[ The Race of Faith ] Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 12:1-3 (in Context) Hebrews 12 (Whole Chapter)

Nana NYC said...

Pain is alleviated, mobility is increased, and quality of life is improved as a result of the efforts of many, in and out of the OR. First resoponders and hospital staff are not the only heros. So take heart and run the race, on and off the job, to win. What you do will make a differnce, even in emergencies when lives are at stake. Don't worry about the wealth. God will show you how and where to give to extend his kingdom and fight injustice. We love you and are rooting for you!

Jeannine said...

I find it interesting that mobile technology which was touted as a way to enable us to spend more time at home instead of at the office has actually resulted in our being tethered to our respective jobs 24/7, often to the detriment of our personal lives.

I guess its all comes down to keeping things in their proper perspective. Doing the best job you can by your employer, but remembering what really matters. Like the precious cargo in your suitcase.