*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Trimming the fat

By Kris Smith

So, this all started about 2 months ago when I went to the doctor for a routine check up. After the lab sent my doctor the results of my blood work- she gave me a call. “Everything looks great, except your cholesterol is rather high for someone your age”, she told me. She spouted off HDL and LDL numbers and something about a triglyceride. I wasn’t really listening to her. I still have no idea which of those are good and which are bad. As visions of my arteries thickening and my blood struggling to get through them raced through my head, I thought, “How could this be?”. I’m only 33, and sure I could stand to lose some weight but I certainly get more exercise running after Aiden everyday than all of the NY Giants get in the off season combined. Nevertheless, she gave me 3 months to get the numbers down with diet and exercise and if that didn’t work, she said she would need to put me on medication. Well, that was it. I have no intention of carrying around a little pill box with the days of the week on it like some 85 year old with Shamus busting my chops- “Did you take your pills today, wench?”.

I started to do some research since I couldn't have told you then what foods actually contain cholesterol. Turns out it’s in all types of animal meat (including fish and poultry) and in dairy products. Well, that explains it. Anyone who knows me, knows I have two basic food groups: Chicken and Ice Cream. Apparently, even if you eat lean meats and light ice cream, you are subject to getting high cholesterol because of it. I decided that in order to really make a commitment to eating healthy over the next 3 months, I was going to have to become a vegan, at least temporarily. I know some of you just rolled your eyes and the word “freak” just came out of some of your mouths and I can’t blame you. That’s exactly what my reaction was when coming across one of those, well…. Freaks, in the past. Let me state for the record that I love meat. I am not doing this to save animals or as a statement against the mistreatment of dairy cows. In fact, I would snap a chicken’s neck with my bare hands just to have Chicken Marsala for dinner. The problems, I am learning are far greater than any one of your normal “tree hugging” variety.

I bought Vegetarian cookbooks, read a ton of articles online and in less than 2 hours, I finished the book, “Eat this, Not that for Kids” by David Zinczenko. I had no idea the dire situation we are in as a nation- especially with our kids. Here are just a few of the startling facts I came across…
• One in three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes at some point in his or her lifetime.
• Overweight people are 120% more likely to develop stomach cancer
• 60% of overweight children have at least one cardiovascular disease risk.

I understand that in our current economic times, we tend to spend our days worrying about job loss, personal finances and how to spend less. All of these issues are important. However, we have made it about saving “pennies” and “minutes” by grabbing fast food at a drive thru or at a chain restaurant because we have a coupon. We decided there just isn’t enough time in the day to cook a meal because everyone in the family is so over committed, we have 4 different places to be on any given night of the week. Someone actually told me, "God did not intend for us to be vegetarians". I realize there is some truth to that. However, we have "created" deep-fried oreos, cheese fries and corndogs. All of which, I'm fairly certain, were not on His original menu either. Let's keep things in perspective people.

When I first started this, I made it my own little “diet”. I didn’t impose any of this on Shamus and Aiden because "real men eat meat". This past weekend though, I became more aware of my responsibility to them as well. I am the one who goes grocery shopping and prepares the meals, most of the time. If Shamus and I don’t set a good example for Aiden, or even worse, if we don’t live long enough to be a good example, then he could end up being the 1 in 3 who will be diagnosed with diabetes, or the one who develops heart disease when he’s 20. Does this mean I will never have chicken or ice cream ever again. Of course not. I am merely suggesting we pay closer attention to what we feed our families. Eating right and exercising is not something I care to do for vanity anymore. Would I like to be 115 pounds again? Sure. But the one thing I have learned since becoming a parent… it’s not about me anymore.

Special thanks to Lori for her cookbook suggestions and food ideas and to Luci for listening to me drone on about it at our wine tasting lunch (I drink wine to lower my cholesterol!!!).
For those interested, here are some links to resources, I have found helpful.
Vegetarian Recipes
Vegetarian starter kit
Stay tuned for the next health update from my doctor.

6 comments:

Shamus said...

Diet and exercise.
How freakin' simple.
Society has gotten so consumed with greed,and hurried by our "busy" and important schedules, we have forgotten how to maintain the only item we truly own.
Our bodies.

Anonymous said...

Not all people who carry pill bottles around are 85 years old. Just saying...:-)

Kris said...

Very true. It's not the pills i mind taking, it's the Shamus abuse that come with them.

Anonymous said...

.....and there you have it!! Can we put this on the nightly news so homes across America will get this message??
I found myself nodding my head and saying "yes!" aloud....like I was participating in a southern baptist church service;0) WELL DONE!!-Lo

Nana NYC said...

Wise choices, Kris! I am excited for you and Shamus and Aiden. My birthday is coming up. If anyone in my family would like to get me one of those books, I'd enjoy that!
I love veggies and I can live without meat. Maybe some of your self discipline will rub off on the rest of us who still need to make changes. I am proud of your efforts to avoid medication.

marietta said...

krissy i know that you will win this. you have drive and will not let this beat you. besides not wanting to take pills you dont want the abuse from sha but u can handle that as well .as always i am very proud to have you as my daughter. lvoe u