*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend, 2009

I've been nervous about following the previous post for some time now. I think it was masterfully written. I've been stalling, and changing topics in my mind for about a week. When I finally made this decision, I almost dismissed it just as quickly. A Memorial Day themed post?? On Memorial Day weekend? How lame. How predictable.
Then, the gravity of self sacrifice made by members of our military hit me like a ton of bricks at church tonight. So here we go.
As is done every year at this time, LCBC took time to recognize those among us who have served in the armed forces. Every year it is quite a moving tribute. Never rushed, never the same twice. This year, it included the story shown in this video. Take three minutes and two seconds out of your "busy" life to watch it.

The stage at church filled with men and women who have given up a part of themselves for something greater than any single person. It's quite moving to see a 60 or 70 year old proudly wearing a t-shirt that bears the Eagle, Globe and Anchor or any other universally recognizable emblem of our military. There is something in the voice of such a person when he/she sounds off stating name, branch of service, and years of service.
It's the tone of voice, the body language of a warrior. You'd fair better fighting the 20 year old drug dealing, street punk any day rather than this 60 year old, retired, battle tested man of honor.
A few things struck me as I watched this story.
1. The majority of the people participating (or at least those being filmed) at this airport were clearly older then me or most of my friends. How incredibly sad and embarrassing. I guess my generation couldn't bear to miss the final freakin' episode of American freakin' Idol, and were unable to make trip.
2. I believe a great disservice is being done to our soldiers. If you do a little research, you will learn the United States Congress has never issued a declaration of war against Iraq. Instead, they signed over war powers to the executive branch. A move expressly forbidden by the Constitution of the United States. In the long term, this will complicate a wounded soldier's pension payout. It compromises the ability of the government to impress upon a reservist's employer the requirement that they guarantee his/her job once the deployment is over. How dare our government press our warriors into harms way, all the while betraying the very laws and framework that grant them the power to do so in the first place.

At some point Aiden will want to "play war." Run around the yard with his friends playing an army game of some sort. It's entirely possible that games like that will develop into a genuine interest in military service later in his life. Given my political disenfranchisement, how should I respond to any such interest? My plan is to allow and encourage him to think freely. To offer only guidance, not impose my opinions on him. I dare not deprive him of the chance to be held in the same accord as some of the great men in his life. Carl and Gramps both served honorably.

2 comments:

Carl said...

Awesome.. no other words

marietta said...

ALL WE CAN SAY IS THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE NOT JUST TO CARL AND GRAMPS BUT TO ALL WHO SERVED AND WHO ARE STILL SERVING.