*Please Note*
As of July 2015 many photos have been intentionally removed.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Top Ten Things That Made 1/13/2008 Great


Have you ever settled in after a long day of.....whatever and realized you had fun ALL DAY? Today I am speaking from experience. Here are a few highlights in order of occurrence.

1. My dad comes to town..... and brings food.
My dad arrived last night. He came in this weekend to watch the Giants play (and beat) Dallas in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Some have said that watching a football game with my family is quite an experience. I'm not sure what to make of that.
Since my Dad retired some years ago he has taken up some hobbies.
Cooking
Fantasy football.....Fantasy hockey(?)..... Fantasy baseball..... And Fantasy Bass fishing.
O.K. I made up the last one.
He's gotten quite good at the cooking thing. Today we enjoyed sausage and peppers and lasagna. He also brought Hungarian goulash courtesy of my Mom. My mom has been making this as long as I can remember. I distinctly remember loving this as a child and today it did not disappoint.

2. We go to life group.
Life group? It's a group of friends from church. It's not like a cult or anything.
Today was particularly moving for me. I'll do my best to explain why.
We were set to hang out at about 12:30. Early on we got a phone call and were told that Jason would be bringing over some people to have lunch with us. These people were apparently in need of assistance. We really didn't know much more than that.
Yadda Yadda..... we meet them, spend a few hours talking and eating. In bits and pieces we began to understand how it is that they have come to be with us this afternoon. To water it down a bit, they(mother, father and three kids) were on a road trip. A trip that had taken a few rough turns. They now found themselves without the means to get home and were in dire need of assistance.
My group of friends opened their home to total strangers for a few hours and saw to it that they got a good start for the long trip home.
Simple story?.... Yes. In fact it is so simple that Churches everywhere screw it up constantly.
This is Jesus at his finest. This is what we should endeavour to teach our kids. This is how life should be. IT IS SO SIMPLE.
Imagine if this family had sought help from us, or anyone and had been turned away.
How terrible it would be for a family in need of aid to enter a church on a Sunday morning in America and be turned away. How horrible for them. How horrible for the Church that said NO.

Matthew 25:40

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Well said. It was a wonderful day indeed. My life was changed a bit by Christ yesterday...

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.. I recently attended a photograpic convention in Tampa. During the trade show I rounded the corner to find a booth called "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep".
It was an organization that arranges photographic sessions for parents who have had a child die.. or who are about to. The sample photographs I saw were powerful. Having lost a child 16 years ago at birth, I remembered the nurse that left her shift to go home and get a good camera to take a picture of the daughter we lost. It's the only picture I have of her and it's one of my most precious possessions. With tears in my eyes, I signed up. I felt that God had somehow completed a circle. God does amazing things through us if we let Him.
http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org

Anonymous said...

Shahmus